Leicester go top with comeback win over Millwall

Leicester City

During the match, Patson Daka managed to score and securing the lead for Leicester for the first time.

Leicester City made a comeback and won against the low-ranking team Millwall by scoring three goals in the latter half, putting them back in first place in the Championship.

The Lions surprised their opponents in just nine minutes of play by delivering a cross into the box, which Murray Wallace swung, and Tom Bradshaw scored a header that went past Foxes goalkeeper Mads Hermansen.

In the second half, the City team completely changed the game by scoring two goals. First, Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall's high pass into the box accidentally deflected off Jannik Vestergaard's shoulder and went into the net, levelling the score. Then, Wilfred Ndidi passed a long ball into the box, and Patson Daka scored an easy goal by heading it in from just one yard away.

Ricardo Pereira managed to score after Tom Cannon's attempt was obstructed, securing the three points. Later, Kevin Nisbet got a last-minute goal for Millwall, thanks to George Saville's corner, but it was too little, too late.

Leicester have occupied the number one position in the Championship for most of the season and reclaimed their spot at the top just one day after Ipswich had moved ahead of them following their win over Watford on Tuesday.

The Foxes won for the 17th time this season which also makes them one of the fastest teams to get 50 points in a Championship season. They are tied with Ipswich who accomplished this feat in 21 games.

On the other hand, Millwall finds itself almost in the relegation spots, only one point away, currently occupying the 20th spot having lost four out of their last five games under the management of Joe Edwards. However, it should be noted that two of those defeats were away games against the top two teams in the division.

Edwards responded to the situation where there were no goals scored by deciding to bench top scorers Zian Flemming and Nisbet. This decision seemed to have a positive impact as substitute Bradshaw surprised everyone by putting the Lions ahead.

Leicester only allowed one goal during their league game at King Power Stadium, but they started to play better as time went on. Abdul Fatawu fell down after being challenged by Wes Harding and there could have been a penalty.

During the game, Vestergaard attempted a long shot and it led to Millwall's goalkeeper, Matija Sarkic, making a save. Ndidi was given a good opportunity by Fatawu, but he failed to score and hit the ball over the crossbar. However, the home team faced difficulty in getting past the five defenders of the Lions team.

Enzo Maresca's team was missing Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho, and they only managed to get two shots on the goal in the first half. However, they were able to show their precise skills and take the lead in just seven minutes after the game restarted.

The home team dominated possession while Millwall played defensively and took advantage of their opportunity when Pereira scored, possibly with the help of Ndidi. This goal proved to be the deciding factor when the hosts made a rare mistake in defending a set-piece, leading to a late second goal for Millwall. Despite some anxious final minutes, the home team managed to stay in control and secure the victory.

Enzo Maresca, the manager of Leicester City, stated to BBC Radio Leicester:

We were caught off guard by their tactics. We thought they would stick with their usual 4-4-2 formation, but they changed it up completely. As a result, we had trouble finding openings and coming up with a plan in the first half.

In the latter part, we made some modifications and the outcome was significantly improved.

Normally we go on the offensive with a group of five players. Therefore, it became challenging as we had five players versus their five players. Nevertheless, during the second half, we decided to add one more player to our defensive line, making it six players against their five. This strategy proved to be much more effective.

Achieving 52 points in just 21 games is a significant accomplishment for a Championship slider. These numbers hold great value, especially if we manage to hit our ultimate goal by the end of the season, which is no easy feat.

The game is over, with Leicester City emerging victorious with a score of 3 goals to 2 against Millwall.

The latter part of the game has come to a close, with Leicester City triumphing over Millwall 3 goals to 2.

Jannik Vestergaard from Leicester City team has been granted a free kick in the area of defense.

Kevin Nisbet (Millwall) committed a violation.

Leicester City scores! The score is now 3-2 against Millwall. Kevin Nisbet from Millwall took a shot with his right foot from a very short distance and managed to score in the center of the goal. This happened right after a corner was taken.

The attempt was prevented from scoring. Kevin Nisbet from Millwall had headed the ball from a very short distance but was prevented from scoring by the goalkeeper saving it at the top and center of the goalpost. George Saville assisted in making the attempt possible by providing a cross.

At the corner of the field, Millwall experienced a goal against them by Stephy Mavididi.

In the defensive region of the field, Ricardo Pereira (a member of the Leicester City football team) obtains a free kick.

Dan McNamara (Millwall) made a foul.

The wait is now over and they are prepared to proceed.

The game was put on hold due to Brooke Norton-Cuffy (Millwall) getting injured.

The try was stopped. James Justin (from Leicester City) tried to shoot with his left foot from outside the box, but it was blocked.

The ball reached the corner spot for Leicester City's team. Their opponent, Jake Cooper, let the ball cross the line, resulting in a conceded corner.

The save was successful. Jake Cooper (a Millwall player) aimed a header from the central area of the box which was blocked by the goalkeeper in the bottom right corner. George Saville provided assistance.

Millwall has made a substitution with Billy Mitchell replacing Allan Campbell.

The player substitution has taken place for Millwall. George Honeyman has been replaced by Ryan Longman.

Leicester City's Wout Faes received a yellow card after committing a harmful foul.

Wout Faes from Leicester City made a violation.

Zian Flemming of Millwall has been granted a free kick on the left flank.

George Honeyman from Millwall tried to take a shot with his right foot from the center of the box but it was stopped by the opposing team's defense. Ryan Leonard assisted him in the attempt.

Read more
Similar news