League Two Crewe shock Derby in FA Cup replay

Derby County

Aaron Rowe finally scored two goals during the game against Derby, which is his first time hitting the back of the net in over two and a half years.

Crewe Alexandra, a team in the fourth tier of English football, sent Derby County packing from the FA Cup after defeating them in the first-round replay at Pride Park, with two goals courtesy of Aaron Rowe.

At the beginning of the League One match, Tom Barkhuizen scored a great goal only three minutes into the game, giving the home team a great start. However, Chris Rowe managed to score two goals during the first half, which were also his first two goals for the Railwaymen. This put the visitors in a good position to cause an upset.

During the first half, the Derby team tried to even the score and almost succeeded when Max Bird fired a shot towards the net. However, Harvey Davies from the Crewe team made a vital save by tipping the ball onto the crossbar.

During the second half of the match, Mickey Demetriou scored the third goal for Crewe with a header. This secured them a spot in the second round of the competition and they will be playing against Bristol Rovers, who are a team in League One, in a match that will be hosted at their home ground.

The head of the Ram's team, Paul Warne, decided to switch up his team by making two changes from the previous match where they won 3-0 against Barnsley in League One. On the flip side, Crewe made three changes to their team following their recent victory against fellow League Two top performers, Notts County, with a late win.

Even though the last part of the league game created a lot of excitement and uncertainty, the match began in an exciting way with both teams scoring within the first seven minutes.

Louie Sibley took the ball away from Crewe when they tried to initiate their attack from the back, and then passed it to Barkhuizen who scored a goal early on for Derby. In the previous match, Derby had required two goals in the final moments to draw and earn a replay.

Wildsmith was powerless to stop Crewe from scoring their well-deserved second goal in the first half, as a deflection from Eiran Cashin caused Rowe's shot to find the back of the net.

Wildsmith made a fantastic save to prevent Courtney Baker-Richardson from scoring a third goal, but Crewe's goalkeeper Davies blocked James Collins' shot and also stopped a Bird's attempt from hitting the crossbar just before the halftime.

Towards the end of the match, there weren't many opportunities for either team to score. However, Demetriou was able to secure the win for his team, preventing Derby from catching up. He did this by using his head to redirect White's corner kick into the net, and there was still 25 minutes left to play.

Baker-Richardson and Shilow Tracey tried to find another player for their team, but Wildsmith prevented further scoring during a disappointing game for the Rams. This loss marks the first time they have been eliminated from the FA Cup in the opening round since the 1984-85 season.

During an interview with BBC Radio Derby, the head coach of Derby County, Paul Warne, made a statement.

In my opinion, our team had a desire for the game but our performance did not match our apparent eagerness.

Before the game, I had a conversation with the group of guys. I enlightened them that if they show up in excellent condition, which they have been lately, and they arrive thinking everything will be okay and they just need to go through the usual steps, I cautioned them.

As the most senior member in the changing room, I have participated in matches where you feel confident from the outset and think everything will be fine. However, it's crucial to maintain this mindset throughout the game rather than trying to switch it on midway through. You can't just activate your mental strength and determination after the first 15 minutes; it needs to be a continuous effort.

Perhaps that was a factor, the consecutive matches may have taken a toll on the physical capacity of a few of my players.

It seemed as though Crewe had greater potential and capabilities, to phrase it politely.

Lee Bell, the manager of Crewe Alexandra, spoke to BBC Radio Stoke and said:

The football club is having a fantastic night, and I feel honored to be a part of it.

I feel extremely satisfied with the players' performance, and the supporters showed exceptional enthusiasm. The victory was well-deserved as the team had a perfectly devised game plan and executed it impressively.

I recently communicated to the athletes that in the last 14 to 21 days, amidst all the happenings, this show of ability has been the most honorable moment of my career in soccer.

"I'm looking forward to tonight's festivities and plan on having a chilled beer while on the bus."

Game over, Derby County suffers a 1-3 defeat against Crewe Alexandra.

The latter part of the game has come to an end, with Derby County scoring 1 goal and Crewe Alexandra securing 3 goals.

The player from Derby County, Max Bird, gains a free kick while in the area designated for defense.

Aaron Rowe (Crewe Alexandra) has committed a foul.

Eiran Cashin from Derby County was granted a free kick while they were defending in their half of the field.

The referee has called a foul on Courtney Baker-Richardson from Crewe Alexandra.

Sonny Bradley (Derby County) committed a foul.

In the defensive half, Lewis Billington from Crewe Alexandra successfully obtained a free kick.

Crewe Alexandra's corner was denied by Martyn Waghorn.

The referee gave Conor Thomas from Crewe Alexandra a yellow card because he committed a bad foul.

Kane Wilson from Derby County receives a free kick in their own half of the field.

Conor Thomas (Crewe Alexandra) committed a violation.

Max Bird (Derby County) committed a foul.

Joe White from Crewe Alexandra has just earned a free kick in their opponent's side of the field.

Derby County makes a substitution as Sonny Bradley comes in for Craig Forsyth.

Derby County is making a substitution as Adebayo Fapetu comes on to take the place of Conor Hourihane.

The effort was unsuccessful. Aaron Rowe (player from Crewe Alexandra) struck the ball with his left foot from the central area of the penalty box but it went over the crossbar.

The goal was prevented! Shilow Tracey from Crewe Alexandra took a right footed shot from the middle of the box, but the goalkeeper was able to stop it in the center of the goal.

Corner kick for Derby County. Lewis Billington was responsible for giving it away.

During a football game, Shilow Tracey from the Crewe Alexandra team received a yellow card from the referee due to committing a foul that was deemed inappropriate.

Read more
Similar news
This week's most popular news