Richard Ramirez victims list: How many people the Night Stalker serial killer murdered, and how he was caught
New Netflix documentary series, Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer, will look into the crimes and investigation which led to the capture of notorious serial killer, Richard Ramirez.
The criminal killed at least 13 people and carried out a string of home invasions and an array of violent crimes in the mid-1980s in California.
The killer attacked people of all ages, including men, women and children.
Here’s who the victims of Ramirez were and how he was finally caught.How many people did Richard Ramirez kill?
Richard Ramirez was convicted of the murders of 13 people, who were killed between June 1984 and August 1985.
He was also convicted of the attempted murders of five more people as well as of several counts of sexual assault and of burglary.Who were his victims?
The following are the people Richard Ramirez killed, according United Press International (UPI) Archives.
- Jennie Vincow – The 79-year-old was killed by Ramirez on 27 June, 1984, when he also burgled her home in Glassell Park LA.
- Dale Okazasi – On 17 March, 1985, Ramirez shot and killed 34-year-old Okazasi at her home in Rosemead, California, after also attacking her housemate Maria Hernandez, 20, who survived.
- Tsai-Lian “Veronica” Yu – On the same day (March 17, 1985) as the murder in Rosemead, Yu, 30, was dragged from her car and killed.
- Vincent Zazzara – On 27 March, 1985, Ramirez broke into the home of Vincent Zazzara, 64 and killed him while he slept.
- Maxine Zazzara – The 44-year-old was killed as part of the same attack as her husband Vincent Zazzara on 27 March, 1985.
- William Doi – Ramirez broke into the home of Doi, 65, in Monterey Park on 14 May 1985 where he fatally shot him.
- Mable “Ma” Bell – The 84-year-old died after Ramirez attacked her at her home in Monrovia, California, on 29 June, 1985.
- Mary Louise Cannon – The 77-year-old widow was killed at her home in Arcadia, California, on 2 July 1985.
- Joyce Lucille Nelson -The 61-year-old was beaten to death on 7 July, 1985, by Ramirez, who also burgled her home in Monterey Park.
- Max Kneiding – The 68-year-old was attacked with a machete, shot and killed by Ramirez on 20 July, 1985.
- Lela Kneiding – The 66-year-old wife of Max Kneiding was also killed on the same day (20 July, 1985) after Ramirez broke into the couple’s home in Glendale, California, which he also robbed.
- Chainarong Khovananth – The 32-year-old was shot and killed while asleep in his home in Sun Valley in 20 July, 1985.
- Elyas Abowath – Ramirez shot and killed the 31-year-old on 8 August, 1985 in Diamond Bar, California, during a burglary of the family home.
Ramirez also committed an array of further crimes against many more people.
In some cases, other members of the same households as the victims listed above were also attacked, but they survived.How was he caught and what happened to him?
One person who survived an attack by Ramirez, Inez Erickson, gave a description of him to the police in the summer of 1985 and they were eventually able to identify him thanks to fingerprint evidence from a stolen car.
He was eventually captured in August 1985 after his picture was widely published by the press.
Following a trial that began in 1988, he was convicted of 13 counts of murder, five counts of attempted murder, 11 counts of sexual assault and 14 counts of burglary.
In 1989, he was handed 19 death sentences.
After more than 23 years on death row awaiting execution, he died from complications of B-Cell lymphoma in 2013.When can I watch the documentary?
All four episodes of Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer are available to watch from today (January 2021) on Netflix in the UK
Struggling to find your next favourite TV series?
The i on TV newsletter is a daily email full of suggestions of what to watch as well as the latest TV news, opinions and interviews. Sign up here to stay up to date with the best new TV.