Women's report | Nottingham Forest 2-0 Wolves

Nottingham Forest

The Wolves Women's team were eliminated from the FA Women's National League Cup, after Nottingham Forest scored in both halves of the game and advanced to the next round of the tournament. The match was played at Grange Park.

Forest's Holly Manders put two goals in the back of the net during the game. The first goal was scored before 12 minutes had passed, and she secured the win by scoring a penalty kick with only seven minutes left in the match.

Dan McNamara altered his team from the previous victory against AFC Fylde in the league. Three new players were introduced to the starting line-up, namely Emma Cross, Jade Cross and Sophie Bramford.

The Forest team had a good start to the game, and they almost scored when Nat Johnson passed the ball to Mai Moncaster, who had a clear path to the goal. However, Moncaster missed the target and the ball went wide of the post on the far side.

Shortly after, the team in charge managed to score first as Manders managed to break the tie with a shot just inside the penalty box, expertly curved beyond the reach of Bec Thomas.

The Wolves team attempted to react after Destiney Toussaint missed a shot. Just before the break, there were several opportunities and the Old Gold nearly scored a goal that hit the crossbar.

Intermission | Forest leads Wolves 1-0

During the second half, McNamara's team persevered and had a shot from afar that hit the post. Forest continued to be fortunate to stay ahead.

Ellie Wilson and Liv Fergusson joined the game for Wolves, as the away team made some changes for the last part of the match.

Forest tried to score their second goal and almost made it, but Johnson missed his shot after Manders gathered a stray ball and passed it to him for a shot.

With only seven minutes left on the clock, the hosts were given a chance to secure their win when Freya Thomas was fouled in the penalty area. The referee didn't hesitate to award the hosts a penalty.

Manders confidently took charge and successfully scored from the penalty spot, extending the Reds' advantage and securing their spot in the next round.

The match between Forest and Wolves ended with a score of 2-0. This was a full-time game.

The upcoming match on October 8th will be between Huddersfield Women versus an unknown opponent.

On October 15th, there was a County Cup held in Sutton Coldfield.

On October 22nd, the West Brom Women's team will play a game away from their home field.

The Forest team consisted of several players with surnames such as Batty, Harkin, Johnson, Moncaster, Manders, O’Neill, Green, Thomas (Reynolds subbed on in the 90th minute), Anderson, James (subbed off for Cook in the 29th minute), and Cowie (subbed off for Dixon in the 79th minute).

Substitutes Who Didn't Play: Aguirre and Greengrass.

The team Wolves consisted of players named Thomas, Morphet, E. Cross, George (Smith 87), Will, J. Cross (Fergusson 77), Fryer (Wilson 57), Toussaint, Roberts, Bramford (Price 87), and Merrick (Johnson 87).

Read more
Similar news
This week's most popular news